(Web Desk) – An Afghan election candidate was among four people killed on Wednesday by a bomb planted under his chair in the southern province of Helmand days before the parliamentary elections, Afghan officials said.
Aljazeera confirmed the news saying, Abdul Jabar Qahraman was preparing to contest Saturday’s elections, was killed in his office in the Lashkar Gah city, a senior government official said.
Another seven people were also wounded in the attack claimed by the Taliban armed group, which is boycotting the crucial elections, , a spokesman for the Helmand governor, Omar Zwak said.
Zwak added, “We are investigating the incident.”
The Taliban, in a statement released earlier in the day, warned teachers and students not to participate in the parliamentary elections due on October 20, and not to allow schools to be used as polling centres.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said in the statement, “People who are trying to help in holding this process successfully by providing security should be targeted and no stone should be left unturned for the prevention and failure [of the election].”
Qahraman is the 10th candidate to be killed in the past two months. Another two have been abducted and four others were wounded in attacks.