(AFP) – Daesh-linked Boko Haram terrorists in Nigeria have murdered yet another female aid worker, abducted earlier this year in the northeast of the country, a month after they killed one of her colleagues, officials said.
Nigeria’s Information Minister Lai Mohammed announced the latest killing after the expiration of a deadline, noting that the government was “shocked and saddened” by the terrorist act, describing it as “dastardly, inhuman and ungodly,” AFP reported on Tuesday.
It was not clear what the terrorists had requested in return for the potential release of the aid worker. Mohammed did not specifically explain.
Three female health workers were kidnapped by Boko Haram on March 1 during an assault on the remote town of Rann in Borno State that also killed three more aid workers and eight Nigerian troops.
Two of the kidnapped women, identified as Hauwa Liman and Saifura Khorsa, worked for the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), and the third, named Alice Loksha, worked for the United Nations (UN) Children’s Fund, or UNICEF.
Mohammed did not initially identify the latest victim but noted later in a tweet message that he had “commiserated with the family of Hauwa Liman.”
“It is very unfortunate that it has come to this. Before and after the deadline issued by her abductors, the federal government did everything any responsible government should do to save the aid worker,” he said.
There had been no news of the three kidnapped aid workers until last month, when ICRC said it had received footage of Khorsa’s killing from a new faction of the Boko Haram.
The faction threatened to kill Liman and Loksha, as well as a 15-year-old Christian schoolgirl named Leah Sharibu, who was kidnapped from the town of Dapchi, in Yobe State, in February.
Boko Haram terrorists have used abduction as a weapon of war during their militancy in Nigeria, kidnapping thousands of women and girls, and forcing young men and boys to fight in their ranks.
The infamous mass abduction of over 200 schoolgirls from the Borno state town of Chibok by Boko Haram in April 2014 attracted international attention and was widely censured. Nearly 107 of the girls have since been released or escaped from their captors.