(News Desk) – US President Donald Trump has defended his executive order to end separation of migrant families at the country’s southern border.
Trump made the comment during a meeting with Jordanian King Abdullah II at Oval Office of the White House on Monday.
“The executive order was great. It was something that I felt we had to do. We want children staying together. The law has been this law for a long period of time,” Trump said.
He also slammed a report by the New York Times, alleging that he complained to aides that he should not have signed the order.
“There was a false story, fake news, in The New York Times,” he said. “Just the opposite, I wanted to sign that. In fact, I was saying yesterday before I read this phony story in The New York Times that I was very, very happy that I signed that.”
He further continued his offensive on the country’s “obsolete” and “horrible” immigration laws.
Last Wednesday, the US president signed an executive order to halt family separations at the border with Mexico.
Trump has previously called for cutting the immigrants’ access to court and due process.
The White House on Monday disputed such claim, alleging that “Just because you don’t see a judge doesn’t mean you don’t receive due process.”
“The president would like to see us stop people from illegally entering the country at all,” press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said during Monday’s press briefing. “The president would like us to secure the borders and have a very legal and easy immigration process so people can come here the right way.”
More than 2,000 separated children are currently in the US government’s custody, according to the Department of Homeland Security, which claims that it is aware of their locations and is making an effort to reunite them with their families.