ISLAMABAD (Muslim Times) – Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi is scheduled to hold an important news conference today (Monday) following the controversial remarks of Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) supreme leader Nawaz Sharif about the 2008 Mumbai attacks.
The premier will also express his views regarding the National Security Committee (NSC) meeting that was held to discuss the situation arising out of the recent remarks of Sharif.
After chairing National Security Committee (NSC) meeting, PM Abbasi met PML-N supreme leader and informed him about the reservations of military leaders regarding the latter’s statement pertaining Mumbai attacks.
“I met Nawaz Sharif today. He clarified that his statement was broadcasted out of the context. Indian media trumpeted the remarks of Sharif in the wrong way,” said PM Abbasi.
The premier reiterated that even today he considers the PML-N supreme leader as his Prime Minister. “The entire party stands with Nawaz Sharif,” he affirmed.
“It is our policy that non-state elements will not be allowed to use the homeland against anyone. Pakistan has always ousted the non-state actors,” asserted PM Abbasi.
The NSC meeting categorically rejected the statement of Nawaz Sharif regarding Mumbai attacks. The participants termed the remarks as contrary to the facts and said that Indian government didn’t present evidence for investigation.
They observed that it was very unfortunate that the opinion arising out of either misconceptions or grievances was being presented in disregard of concrete facts and realities.
The meeting was attended by Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee General Zubair Mahmood Hayat, Cheif of Army Staff General Qamar Bajwa, Air Chief Mujahid Anwar Khan, Naval Chief Admiral Zafar Mahmood Abbasi and others.
Former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif had on Saturday revealed in an interview that those who attacked hotel in Mumbai in 2008 hailed from Pakistan.
Speaking to Dawn newspaper, Nawaz Sharif asked if we should allow non-state actors “to cross the border and kill 150 people in Mumbai”.
He said: “Militant organisations are active. Call them non-state actors, should we allow them to cross the border and kill 150 people in Mumbai? Explain it to me. Why can’t we complete the trial?” — a reference to the Mumbai attacks-related trials which have stalled in a Rawalpindi anti-terrorism court.
Meanwhile, the interview has stirred a storm as Indian media has turned his statement into a charge sheet against Pakistan for being involved in the Mumbai attacks.
On the other hand, a German journalist, Elys Davidson in his book last year revealed that the Mumbai attack was masterminded by Israel and America and the facts were distorted by the Indian government.
According to the book, many witnesses saw Ajmal Kasaab and others gathering in Nariman House two days before the incident, but the Indian investigative agencies never included their statements in the investigation report.