BIGtheme.net http://bigtheme.net/ecommerce/opencart OpenCart Templates
Home / Middle East / Yemeni ballistic missile targets Saudi military base in Najran

Yemeni ballistic missile targets Saudi military base in Najran

(News Desk) – Yemeni army forces, supported by allied fighters from Popular Committees, have fired a domestically-manufactured ballistic missile at a military base in Saudi Arabia’s southern border region of Najran in retaliation for the Saudi-led military strikes against their country, a Yemeni media report says.

Yemen’s Arabic-language al-Masirah television network reported, citing a military source, that Saudis’ al-Darb military base had been targeted with a short-range Badr 1-type missile on Friday.

There was no immediate word on the exact number of casualties.

Saudi sources have claimed to intercept the incoming Yemeni missile.

On Thursday, Yemeni forces fired at least two al Badr-1 missiles at Saudi bases and an electronic warfare center in the same troubled region.

The report said that the projectile targeted a gathering of Saudi soldiers and mercenaries in the base.

Yemeni forces regularly fire ballistic missile at positions inside Saudi Arabia in retaliation for the Riyadh-led military campaign on Yemen.

Saudi Arabia often claims that it intercepts incoming Yemeni missiles, but a close study of evidence by The New York Times last year clearly suggested that in one of the most high-profile of such Yemeni missile attacks, the projectile, launched deep into Saudi territory, had in fact landed unimpeded, bypassing American-made Patriot missiles and potentially other defenses used by Riyadh. Saudi Arabia claimed that it had foiled that attack, which targeted the Riyadh airport.

The Saudi-led war began in March 2015 in support of a former Riyadh-friendly Yemeni regime.

The Yemeni Ministry of Human Rights announced in a statement on March 25 that the Saudi-led war had left 600,000 civilians dead and injured until then.

Meanwhile, the United Nations Human Rights office has warned that April has been the deadliest month this year so far with a “sharp” increase in civilian casualties in Yemen.

The Saudi-led countries waging war on Yemen have also blockaded the already-impoverished country.

The United Nations says a record 22.2 million people in Yemen are in need of food aid, including 8.4 million threatened by severe hunger.

About Muslim Times

Check Also

Two Palestinians die from Israeli gunfire wounds sustained during Gaza rally

Muslim Times(Web Desk) – Two Palestinians who were critically wounded by Israeli army gunfire nearly ...