Egypt public prosecutor’s office says the individuals who waged a deadly gun and bomb assault on a mosque in the Sinai Peninsula on Friday were carrying a flag of the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group.
The office said in a statement on Saturday that the assailants numbered between 25 and 30.
On Friday, gunmen detonated a bomb and mowed down worshipers in the Rawda Mosque in North Sinai.
The statement also updated the death toll from the attack to 305, including 27 children.
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi has declared three days of mourning and vowed to “respond with brutal force.”
Following the attack, Egyptian jets struck vehicles used in the carnage and “terrorist” locations where weapons had been stocked, according to an army spokesman.
The Velayat Sinai militant group, which is an affiliate of Daesh, claimed responsibly for the attack, the deadliest in Egypt’s modern history.