The World Health Organization (WHO) says 35 percent of 743 health facilities in Nigeria’s Borno state have been completely demolished.
Borno has been the state worst hit by the Takfiri Boko Haram terrorists.
WHO said in a report on Wednesday that another 29 percent of medical buildings had been partially damaged. Only 34 percent remained intact, it said.
The organization said the report was based on information it had gathered from Borno’s health ministry about medical services available in the state.
Wondi Alemu, the WHO representative in Nigeria, said “high insecurity, difficult terrain and lack of health workers, medicines, equipment and basic amenities such as safe water” made it difficult for people in the area to access healthcare.
Boko Haram started its campaign of militancy in 2009 with the aim of toppling the central government in Nigeria. More than 20,000 people have been killed and over 2.7 million others have been forced from their homes.
Many blame corrupt officials in Nigeria’s government and army for the continued militancy. Recent reports said Boko Haram was receiving some of its arms and ammunition from corrupt Nigerian officials.
The group has pledged allegiance to the Daesh Takfiri terrorists.