The United States is considering additional measures to counter the “scourge” of sexual assaults in the military.
The US Navy’s top officer on Thursday announced additional measures aimed at reducing and eliminating sexual assaults in the service, calling such attacks a “scourge in our workforce,” Reuters reported.
Chief of Naval Operations Admiral John Richardson said continued efforts to combat sexual assaults were a central part of his goal of strengthening the entire Navy workforce.
He said measures taken in recent years had led to increased reporting and a decrease in sexual assaults, but more work was needed.
“Until we eliminate this and go to zero, we can never be satisfied,” Richardson said, calling sexual assaults the most egregious of destructive behavior seen in the military.
The Navy and other US military services have stepped up their efforts in recent years to crack down on sexual assault in the military, as well as on retaliation against those who report such attacks.
In 2014, the Navy reported that 5.1 percent of women in the service experienced unwanted sexual contact, a decrease from 7.2 percent in 2012, while 1.1 percent of men experienced unwanted sexual contact, compared with 2.7 percent of men in 2012, the report added.
Richardson mapped out several initiatives, including training focused more on encouraging shipmates to “step in” if they witnessed sexually inappropriate behavior.
The Navy would revamp its personnel management system to ensure survivors did not wind up work closely with attackers later in their careers, and to expedite discharges for any victims who opted to leave the Navy.
In addition, it would expand use of civilian counselors at shore facilities to encourage more men and women who had been sexually assaulted to report attacks.
There would also renewed efforts to crack down on alcohol abuse, given its high correlation with sexual assaults.